Pour un Sourire d’Enfant (PSE) – For a Child’s Smile is a non-profit organization founded by Christian and Marie-France des Pallières, operating in Cambodia since 1995. Its mission is to help to help children escape from destitution and lead them to decent, skilled and well-paid jobs.
Recognized by the local authorities, PSE is working in respect of the country, with the Cambodians, and thus supports sustainable development.
Six main programs – adapted to the needs of the children – have been developed: food, health, protection, education & schooling, vocational training and help for families.
PSE helps more than 6,500 children and more than 5,500 graduates from PSE Vocational Training program already have successfully integrated the job market with a real qualified position. PSE employs more than 600 people in Cambodia (Phnom Penh mainly) and 5 staff at the headquarter in France. 300 volunteers in different countries are actively working on making the organization known, on fundraising donations and sponsorships.
In 2000, PSE received the French Human Rights Prize by the French Republic.
The primary purpose of this position is to provide a quality teaching or instructional program in a friendly and participative learning environment that guides and encourages students to study, develop and fulfil their academic potential.
1. Teaching and Pedagogy
• Teach consistently high quality lessons of responsable subjects in compliance with the school curriculum
• Apply a variety of pedagogical techniques of student centered approach (La Main à la pate methodology) in order to promote friendly and effectively learning environment
• Apply a variety of assessment methods to evaluate student’s learning outcomes through assessment, quizzes, tests, etc
• Develop and update the padagogic/teaching materials and lesson plan/teaching note
• Monitor and support the overall progress and development of students as a teacher and tutor
• If neccessary, set up the class rules to reinforce the student discipline in the classroom
• Prepare or decorate classroom to be appropriate environment
• Support students to ensure that classroom is clean
• Be a role model of professionalism for students, inspiring them to learn best
• Maintain discipline in accordance with the school procedures and to encourage good practice with regard to punctuality, professional behavior and responsibility
• Provide counselling to slow learners or learners with disciplinary problems by encouraging an active self-learning both in school and home
• Regularly attend the pedagogic meetings to share, raise any pedagogic concerns/challenges and learn for improved teaching and learning
• Manage and maitain the student discipline in and outside class such as uniform, ID cards, cleaness etc
• Collaborate and participate in organizing or operating class demonstration to share the teaching experience to other teachers
2. Pedagogic administration
• Compile, Mamange the documents including tests for all exams, teaching materials, lesson plans or teaching notes
• Be committed to applying the pedagogic materials and lesson plan/teaching notes to meet the school standard
• Maintain appropriate records and provide relevant accurate and up-to-date information regarding to individual case of students when needed;
• Recommend or propose budget plan for pedagogic materials and teaching activities in order to improve student’s learning outcomes
3. Participation and communication
• Being a teacher in charge or class tutor;
• Maintain student discipline during self-study session, lunch break, napping time, flag honor and other assigned areas of the school
• Participate in extra-curricular activities and school events
• Assist and cover others’ classes as a substitute teacher if or when required
• Take part in the staff development program by participating in arrangements for further training and professional development
• Be courteous to colleagues and visitors by providing them a welcoming environment
• Maintain on-going communication with other teachers/colleagues to ensure a positive, nurturing and collaborative relationship
• Be a role model of professionalism
• Participate in SPL activities including facilitating sessions of human education in class and SPL
- Bachelor Degree in education, or related fields, and any specialized subjects is a plus
- Pedagogy Certificate is a must
- At least two-year experience in teaching any subjects
- Teaching or instructional skills, curriculum and lesson plan development
- Very good computer skill _ Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Power Point, Internet and e-mail and be comfortable with Google applications
- Good interpersonal and communication skill
- Teaching, curriculum/pedagogic materials and lesson plan development skills
- Commitment to PSE’s vision, core values and code of conduct
- Policy compliance and protection of children
- Patience, adaptability and ability to cope with change process.
- Ensuring timely, high quality results. Being a role model for continuous learning and improvement.