What are summer camps?
Each year we recruit young volunteers as camp monitors for our summer camps.
During the summer holidays, we take advantage of empty PSE infrastructure, to offer a camp experience to our children so they do not go back to scavenging on the dumpsites or do other dangerous work.
Summer camps could not take place without Marisa's energy. She began to organise them with the help of her husband and children, and now there is an entire team around her!
At the end of July, we see them arrive: 1, 2, 3... then 10, then 200 European monitors! Then, for five weeks, under a blazing sun or monsoon rain, PSE turns into a joyous and raucous saraband, a noisy fair where amid sack races, tugs of war and endless laughter, joy can be read on every of the 3 000 child faces present every day.
And at the end of the day, we see our monitors, 4 or 5 kids clinging to their necks, completely exhausted... but so happy!
What does a camp monitor do?
The camps take place in August. Volunteers must be available for five weeks in a row, from the last two weeks of July until late August. For many young people holidays are about hanging out with friends, going to the seaside or earning money, yet our monitors choose to come here under a sweltering heat, to bring happiness and smiles to young children. During the year before the camps, along with their studies, they work odd jobs and save to buy their plane ticket.
The monitors must be over 18 years old. They work in pairs alongside Khmer monitors and are responsible for:
- Preeparing and supervising playful and didactic activities for the children conjointly with the khmer monitors.
- Being responsible of showers, meals, children´s transport…
- Actively participating in cleaning, organising and material management chores.
- Always being at the service of the children
What are the requirements to participate?
- Be at least 19 years old.
- Be available three weeks in a row in November 2021 and/or in December 2021.
- Good English level.
- Volunteer´s expenses:
- Round-trip ticket Europe-Cambodia, around €1000.
- Personal expenses and weekends
- €100 of registration for the volunteer´s setting-up, training and maintenance in Cambodia.
- Respect imperatively the rules demanded by PSE during the whole stay in Cambodia.
- Actively collaborate with PSE in the country of residence —events, search for sponsors…
SUMMER CAMPS IN 2021
Because of the current crisis, the Cambodian school year has been changed and holidays will take place at the end of the year. Therefore, Summer Camps will take place in November and December 2021, when children will need us.
Dates and form are yet to defined, according the evolution of the health situation and PSE's capacity to ensure the security of all its volunteers.
All information on Summer Camps 2021 and the register form are below.
Recruitment: phase 2
Candidates who have been selected during phase 1 will be invited to participate in a mandatory recruitment / training day, that will take place via Zoom. You will need to ensure that you have access to internet, an electronic device with microphone and sound (computer, tablet, mobile phone) and Zoom. You will need to be connected and present during the whole selection day.
- France: to be confirmed
- UK: to be confirmed
- Spain: to be confirmed
Recruitment: phase 2
Candidates selected during phase 2 will participe in the 2021 Summer Camps. A last day of online training will take place (same conditions as during phase 2). If you do not participate in that training, your application will be canceled.
Date: to be confirmed