Pour un Sourire d’Enfant (PSE) – For a Child’s Smile is a non-profit organization founded by Christian and Marie-France des Pallières, operating in Cambodia since 1995. Its mission is to help to help children escape from destitution and lead them to decent, skilled and well-paid jobs.
Recognized by the local authorities, PSE is working in respect of the country, with the Cambodians, and thus supports sustainable development.
Six main programs – adapted to the needs of the children – have been developed: food, health, protection, education & schooling, vocational training and help for families.
PSE helps more than 6,000 children and more than 4,500 graduates from PSE Vocational Training program already have successfully integrated the job market with a real qualified position. PSE employs more than 600 people in Cambodia (Phnom Penh mainly) and 5 staff at the headquarter in France. 300 volunteers in different countries are actively working on making the organization known, on fundraising donations and sponsorships.
In 2000, PSE received the French Human Rights Prize by the French Republic.
Reporting to the General Director, in Phnom-Penh, this position is accountable for the overall management, development and strategy setting for the Education and Vocational Training programs in PSE Cambodia. This is an essential part of PSE’s mission.
This position will manage annual academic/strategic planning, budget planning (both HR costs and operation = $3Mus) and people management (250 + employees).
S/he will oversee 3 schools, 3 functional and transversal education support services. Ensure relations with institutional partners, notably the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MoEYS), Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training (MoLVT), Ministry of Tourism (MoT), and other players (schools, donors, industry, etc.) in the Cambodian Education field.
1. Education quality
- Ensure content & quality of education
- Manage the team of school directors and functional managers to guarantee the best possible education output
- Continuously assess the quality of the training, by soliciting feedback from students, teachers
- Assess the quality of the teachers, and provide means and training for them to upgrade their knowledge and teaching skills
- Seek to continuously innovate and adapt the level of education to the changing Cambodian environment
- Analyze development trends and labor market demands to adapt training skills and content appropriately
- With Pedagogy Dept. and School Manager, maintain awareness, and promote the development, of new pedagogy tools and materials to constantly have the best learning methodologies for the teachers and the students
- With Language Dept. and School Manager promote development of practical useful language skills among PSE students
- With Softskills group and School Manager to develop, manage and measure the best outcome
- Ensure strong coordination between Education Department and Social & Specialized program support Team to understand student dropout or student difficulties
- Student follow-up with the Social Dept.
- Follow-up of students in difficulties support
- Recruitment of student candidates at other NGOs
2. Education department team management
- Build a high-performance team to ensure they are motivated, mentored, and trained based on their needs
- Provide a strong leadership and role model to promote staff professionalism and sufficient capability to perform the role at its best
- Promote and encourage PSE culture and core values among both staff and students
- Ensure synergy and team between the different groups and transversal functions and encourage practice & knowledge and resource sharing for the benefice of the education organization
- Ensure organization efficiency, propose and implement the appropriate changes
- Develop the orientation department as a fair and independent body that can ensure the best choice for our children
- Put in place an Alumni network and set up the organization
- Participate to the development of the education support software
- Promote harmonization of the practice between school
- Clarify process and responsibilities
- Support development team to ensure change management during launch and implementation
- Manage Education budget to ensure that the budget is spent wisely and follows PSE financial policies and procedures
- Prepare and implement education annual budgets (HR costs and operation costs) to ensure efficiency and effectiveness and respect approved Budget
- Guarantee the necessary synergy inter school to reach the right level of expenses per child
3. Partnerships and relationships
- Put in place strong relationship and follow up initiative of Ministry of Education & TVET
- Ensure relation with institutional partner
- Communication / Build and promote PSE's profile on both national and international levels
- Collaborate and work closely with PSE's Communication Dept.
- Participate in national forums and networks to share good practices in PSE and learn from others
- Work with institutional, private and public organisations to promote TVET in Cambodia, and specifically, PSEI as a national benchmark for vocational training education
- Manage all PSEI academic relations with Ministries (MoLVT, MoT, other as necessary)
- Promote, create and develop a strong network of partners
- Build good relationship with NGOs and companies in Cambodia to enable high quality students' internship program, and to explore possibilities for partnering, such as participation by experts in PSE courses, financial and material support, sharing resources.
- Ensure students' internship activities are coordinated and students placed where they can exercise their knowledge and skills
- Develop close relationships with companies who allow PSE's students to intern in their companies and conduct regular customer satisfaction survey to get feedback from them
- Perform other tasks as request by the General Director
- Master Degree in education, experience in teaching
- A proven record in managing education programs and technical schools - minimum 10 years’ experience in different environment
- A proven experience in managing and leading change in education environment
- Proven high level of English; Khmer is a strong asset.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical and managerial skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiating skills, leadership and authority
- Planning, organization, time management and ability to handle a complex workload are critical
- Commitment to PSE’s vision and core values
- Strong ethics and human values
- Proven ability to work with people of different cultures
- Ability to use digital as a means of improving both management and learning effectiveness